Here is our handbell roundup for December 2014. The Christmas period offers a good time for groups of friends to get together and do a lot of handbell ringing (this is what the holidays are for, right?), and quite a few people did just that.
- Alison Lucas has rung her first treble bob.
- Isobel Frey has rung her first quarter in hand (a good way to start her year as Master of the OUS).
- A peal of Bristol saw a first on 12 inside for Jack Page, and a first on 12 as Conductor for Oliver Cross.
- Tom Page has rung his first quarter of Double Norwich.
- Sally Walker has rung her first peal of treble bob in hand.
- Adrial Walton has a first of Surprise in hand.
- Maureen Hanney has also rung her first treble bob in hand.
- Laura Davies has rung her first spliced in hand.
- Angela Preston has rung her first quarter in hand.
- Alan Shepherd and Courtney Spoerer rang their first treble bob in hand (with a first on 8 as C for Matthew Johnson).
- A first quarter for Peter Richards.
- 150 quarters at 1 Albany Quadrant.
- Roland Cook has rung 600 handbell peals.
- Emma Southerington has conducted 400 handbell peals.
- 100 CUG peals at 12 Victoria Street.
- The George's new handbell band has acquired enough resilience to move to different pairs.
- The Perrins' have done something interesting with round blocks.
- We are wondering how the Ely handbell day went.....
- Paul Jopp has rung all the Standard 8 in hand.
- Got to have handbells on the Santa Special.
- A new handbell venue in Australia?
- A post-Christmas handbell gathering in Breaston (with 7 quarters, nice one).
- Meanwhile, there were two peals in a day at Market Deeping.
For our featured performance this month we had a clear choice, having watched this band's efforts over the last couple of years. I for one have a very personal appreciation of how tough it is to get this composition in hand. Well done!
32 Chilswell Road
Tuesday, 16 December 2014 in 1h58 (11 in G#)
5040 Spliced Surprise Minor (41m)
41m: Allendale, Alnwick, Annable's London, Bacup, Bamborough, Berwick, Beverley, Bourne, Cambridge, Canterbury, Carlisle, Chester, Coldstream, Cunecastre, Durham, Hexham, Hull, Ipswich, Kelso, Lightfoot, Lincoln, London, Morpeth, Munden, Netherseale, Newcastle, Norfolk, Northumberland, Norwich, Primrose, Rossendale, Sandiacre, Stamford, Surfleet, Warkworth, Wearmouth, Wells, Westminster, Whitley, Wooler, York
Composed by J S Warboys (SU0309 & SU0403)
1–2 Simon A Bond
3–4 Robin O Hall
5–6 Mark A Bell (C)
Nearly two years in the making (after much practice, perseverance, beer, wine and cheese, major surgery, and the hosting of the 12-bell final).
First in hand not of Plain Bob Minor: 1-2.
First of spliced surprise, spliced minor and most methods in hand: 3-4.
First in hand in more than one method: 5-6.
First in hand as conductor not of Plain Bob Minor.
With thanks to Claire, Dorothy and Helen for their support and encouragement, and compliments to the composer for this tour de force and his selection of compositions of spliced surprise minor.